Managing Challenging Behaviour and De-escalation
This full day course explores the many forms of challenging behaviour and promotes the ability to resolve conflict through interpersonal skills rather than force.
Our training in the subject of managing difficult behaviours and aggression all follow the Able 6-Stage Target Model which is based on the principles of positive behavioural support, pro-active and responsive strategies and de-escalation. It is a person centred approach suitable for both adult and child environments and adapts to fits all forms of environments and behaviours.
This training is currently taught to staff around the country to assist those working with dementia, mental health and/or substance misuse issues, and clients with learning disabilities or autism. The Able system is praised for its simple but effective principles, its person centred approach and its adaptable design.
This full day course will enable participants to explore the issues that lead to challenging behaviour and is tailored to your environment and needs. They will learn:
- How to identify challenging behaviour.
- The causes of challenging behaviour.
- The different stressors that can contribute to challenging behaviour.
- How challenging behaviour can escalate.
Delegates will learn how to respond to rather than react to challenging behaviour through techniques including:
- Behavioural analysis.
- Behavioural planning.
- Reinforcing and rewarding behaviour that is incompatible with challenging behaviour.
- Appropriate use of praise and extinguishing behaviours.
The course includes the use of clear communication, de-escalation techniques and problem solving with the individual to create win-win outcomes, as well as what to do when faced with danger and helps attendees develop their reaction strategies to aggressive behaviour.
Delegates will learn how to manage high risk conflict, about safe exit strategies, and the importance of team work in managing conflict. They will also learn what they should do after an incident.
The course is ideal for care staff working in any adult care setting including care homes, nursing homes and adult social care.
Attendees will be able to
Find out more about our Pricing Policy
Benefits of using Able Training
What people say about us
Excellent, hands on learning made fun and interactive. trainer answered every question and was very informative but also fun.
Examples of the comments made on feedback forms are
- “host was great, good humour to what could have been a dull and daunting course”
- “Andy our trainer was fantastic. He was knowledgeable, informative and fun. He had a great sense of humour and made the course content really interesting.”
- “The best first aid course I ever attended”
As a Team Manager I am delighted that our foster carers are enthusiastic and motivated to attend the courses offered, whilst being reassured that Able Training is consistently providing an excellent standard of training.
Very good course trainer has great knowledge of his subject and presents the course in a relaxed manner.