First Aid for Mental Health Level 2 Overview:
Mental Health is how we think, feel and act. Everyone has mental health just as they have physical health. Mental health can be defined as the level of a person's psychological well-being, or an absence of mental illness. The U.K. Surgeon Journal (1999), describes mental health as the successful performance of mental function resulting in productive activities, fulfilling relationships with other people, and providing the ability to adapt to change and cope with adversity. The term mental illness refers collectively to all diagnosable mental disorders: health conditions characterized by alterations in thinking, mood, or behaviour associated with distress or impaired functioning. First aid training is common place in a variety of settings and environments, yet only covers physical illness. With approximately one in four people experiencing a mental health problem each year, and with mental health services stretched beyond capacity, it is important that people know what to do if someone experiences a mental health crisis at work or in their community. Like traditional first aid, Mental Health First Aid does not teach people to diagnose mental health conditions. Instead, the training teaches people how recognise conditions and to offer initial support until appropriate professional help is received or the crisis resolves. Learners undertaking this course will be considered First Aiders for Mental Health and be a point of contact within their workplace to help and support those with a suspected mental health condition.
The course is delivered over 1 day
Our group training is offered for 16 attendees per trainer
What is covered:
Delegates attending this course will achieve a greater understanding of what is meant by mental health, as well as how mental health conditions impact on people, those around them, and their immediate social, family and work environments. The course also covers why people develop mental health conditions, and the types of stigma surrounding mental health. Delegates will be able to fully understand their roles and responsibilities as a First Aider for Mental Health, and put together a First Aid Action plan to help and support someone who is presenting with a mental health condition. The course additionally covers and instructs delegates on the the recognition of a variety of mental health conditions, and delegates attending the course will gain an awareness and knowledge in who to contact, and what professional services are available to help and support someone experiencing a mental health condition.
Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for everyone, but is ideal training to assist staff, employers, businesses and companies in providing a positive mental health culture within their workplace. The course is also suitable for anyone looking to further their knowledge on a range of the most common mental health conditions, or anyone who works with or regularly supports someone with a mental health condition and is looking for further guidance.
What will you achieve?
- Understand what is meant by “mental health”
- Understand why people develop mental health conditions, and the types of stigma surrounding mental health
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of a First Aider for Mental Health
- Understand the First Aid Action Plan for Mental Health and to be able to put it into place
- Know how to provide advice and practical support for a person presenting with a mental health condition, including knowing when to contact emergency services
- Know how to recognise a mental health condition and signpost toward the correct healthcare professionals, therapy and support services
- Understand, recognise and manage a variety of mental health conditions, including stress, anxiety, depression, self-harm, personality disorders and psychosis
- Understand the impact and effect that alcohol and drug use can on a person’s mental health
- Know how to implement a positive mental health culture in the workplace
Why Choose Able?
“Excellent, hands on learning made fun and interactive. trainer answered every question and was very informative but also fun.”
“Trainer was brilliant making the course very easy to learn and very enjoyable. Thank you.”
“I really liked the trainer's style and method of training. This trainer is the best trainer I have ever had.”
“Trainer had good knowledge backed up with good humour the course worked really well. Clear and concise.”
“Very good course trainer has great knowledge of his subject and presents the course in a relaxed manner.”