This course explores the law regarding physical intervention and teaches staff disengagement and defence techniques for varying risk levels.
Professional Boundaries Training
Our Professional Boundaries Course teaches the importance of professional boundaries within a supporting or helping relationship and how to maintain them.
Professional Boundaries are the limits to the relationship between someone in a professional role and the person in their care, the borders that mark the edges between a professional relationship and a personal relationship. Boundaries make the relationship professional and safe for the service user and set the parameters within which caring services are delivered. Professional boundaries typically include the schedule of the relationship, limits of personal disclosure, limits regarding the use of touch and the general tone of the professional relationship. To be safe and effective the relationships between staff, patients and carers must be professional, therapeutic and have a clear aim.
The primary concern in establishing and managing boundaries with each individual service user must be the best interests of that service user. Except for behaviours of a sexual nature or obvious conflicts of interest, boundary considerations often are not clear-cut matters of right and wrong. Rather, they are dependent upon many factors and require careful deliberation of all the issues, always keeping in mind the best interests of the client. Areas where the line may be harder to manage include, a worker’s self-disclosure, giving and receiving gifts, dual relationships and becoming friends.
What does Professional Boundaries Training cover?
- Definition of professional boundaries and responsibilities in practice.
- Why professional boundaries are important in health and social care.
- Distinguish between clear and unclear boundaries.
- The importance of following professional codes of conduct, local policies and procedures.
- Demonstrating professional behaviour and being aware of dual relationships.
- Identifying and dealing with risk factors and boundary concerns.
- Recognising and reporting breaches of professional boundaries.
Who is our Professional Boundaries Training for?
Our professional boundaries course is for anyone who works in a helping or supportive relationship. This includes health and social care workers, educators, therapists, social workers, nurses. Any person in a position of trust that provides care, support, guidance or helping service to another person.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Define professional boundaries and identify responsibilities in practice,
- Understand why professional boundaries are important in health and social care
- Distinguish between clear and unclear boundaries,
- Identify the importance of following professional codes of conduct, local policies and procedures,
- Demonstrate professional behaviour and state the meaning and risks of dual relationships
- Identify and deal with risk factors and boundary concerns.
- Recognise and report breaches of professional boundaries.
Frequently asked questions
Our Oral Hygiene course enables attendees to identify the importance of oral hygiene, recognise the anatomy of The Oral Cavity and how good oral hygiene can improve their quality of life.
Our Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Awareness Online Course enables attendees to identify the signs and symptoms of the 3 types of ADHD, be able to understand the causes of ADHD and what treatments can be used.
Reviews from Google
Why choose Able?
Specialists in your
Our courses can be personalised to the individual setting to meet the unique needs of your company.
Training can be delivered at a venue of your choice or at one of our training locations across the UK.
Trusted by companies of all sizes
Whether you’re an established enterprise or a growing startup, we’ve got your training needs covered. Trusted by companies of all sizes including:
Alzheimer’s Society, Mind, Foster Care Associates, Nursing Midwifery Council and the Scouts.
How to get started
Complete the contact form below to get in touch with our team of training advisors
A training partner will be provided to consult and work with you to create a solution that meets your specific training needs.
Receive a tailored quote and book your chosen date.
Fill in the form below so one of our team can reach out with more information.