Understanding Self Harm Course Overview:
The phrases ‘self harm’ or ‘self injury’ are used to describe a wide range of behaviours. There are many misunderstandings related to these behaviours and the reasons why they occur. Self-harm is often understood to be a physical response to an emotional pain of some kind, and can be very addictive. Some of the things people do are quite well known, such as cutting, burning or pinching, but there are many ways to hurt yourself, including abusing drugs and alcohol or having an eating disorder.
The course is delivered over 4 hours
Our group training is offered for attendees per trainer
What is covered:
This course explores what self-harm is, who it affects and how to recognise potential signs and also explores methods to support an individual who displays this behaviour.
- What self harm is and how to recognise potential signs
- The potential causes of self harm and its possible triggers
- Strategies to support someone who self harms
- Possible options for self help and external help
- How to risk assess and reduce the risks associated with the behaviour
Who is the course for?
Our Understanding Self Harm Course is suitable for those involved in supporting someone who self harms, Including Adult and Child settings such as Schools & Education, Foster Care and Supported Living.
What will you achieve?
- Describe what self harm is and how to recognise potential signs
- Discuss the potential causes of self harm and identify its possible triggers
- Identify strategies to support someone who self harms
- Explore possible options for self help and external help
- Risk assess and reduce the risks associated with the behaviour
Why Choose Able?
“Excellent, hands on learning made fun and interactive. trainer answered every question and was very informative but also fun.”
“Trainer was brilliant making the course very easy to learn and very enjoyable. Thank you.”
“I really liked the trainer's style and method of training. This trainer is the best trainer I have ever had.”
“Trainer had good knowledge backed up with good humour the course worked really well. Clear and concise.”
“Very good course trainer has great knowledge of his subject and presents the course in a relaxed manner.”