Challenging Behaviour in Foster Care Overview:
Foster carers will often find themselves facing challenging behaviour beyond that which they are used to dealing with. This course provides them with the understanding and skills to manage challenging behaviour with the goal of meeting the foster child’s needs.
Are you an individual? Head to our individual's section for more information.
The course is delivered over 4 hours
Our group training is offered for attendees per trainer
This training is available to be delivered in a environment.
What is covered:
This interactive course will enable participants to explore the issues that lead to challenging behaviour in foster children. They will learn:
- How to identify challenging behaviour.
- The causes of challenging behaviour.
- The different stressors that can contribute to challenging behaviour.
- How challenging behaviour can escalate.
Participants will learn how to respond rather than react to challenging behaviour through techniques including:
- Behavioural analysis.
- Behavioural planning.
- Reinforcing and rewarding behaviour that is incompatible with challenging behaviour.
- Appropriate use of praise and extinguishing behaviours.
The course includes the use of clear communication, de-escalation techniques and problem solving with the child to create win-win outcomes.
Who is the course for?
It is ideal for any those working in Foster care environments. This half or full day course will enable participants to explore the issues that lead to challenging behaviour and is tailored to your environment and needs. This training is currently taught to staff around the country to assist those working with adults with children who display challenging behaviour. The Able system is praised for its simple but effective principles, its person centred approach and its adaptable design.
What will you achieve?
- Identify challenging behaviour
- Understand the causes of challenging behaviour
- Make adjustments that may help to reduce the behaviour
- Learn how their actions can impact on the behaviour
- Develop behavioural strategies
- Implement pro-active reduction strategies
- Demonstrate de-escalation techniques
“Excellent, hands on learning made fun and interactive. trainer answered every question and was very informative but also fun.”
“Trainer was brilliant making the course very easy to learn and very enjoyable. Thank you.”
“I really liked the trainer's style and method of training. This trainer is the best trainer I have ever had.”
“Trainer had good knowledge backed up with good humour the course worked really well. Clear and concise.”
“Very good course trainer has great knowledge of his subject and presents the course in a relaxed manner.”