Our Emergency First Aid at Work for Schools course enables attendees to gain knowledge about how to manage a situation and perform a casualty assessment as well as the prioritise treatment and deal with minor injuries including shock.
Dementia and Cognitive Impairments Training
About this course
Our Dementia and Cognitive Impairments Training will help raise understanding of various conditions like autism, down syndrome, fragile-x, dementias, and mental illnesses and explore how these might affect a person’s communication and behaviour. We will provide delegates with knowledge and skills around each topic, and look at mental capacity, so all attendees leave the course with a better understand and feeling more confident when communicating and supporting someone with a cognitive impairment.
What does Dementia and Cognitive Impairments Training cover?
- Different forms of dementia
- How dementia impacts the brain
- How dementia impacts on a person’s ability to communicate
- Learning disabilities, including awareness on different types of learning disabilities (in particular Down’s Syndrome)
- How dementia affects people with learning disabilities
- Understanding mental health and mental illness
- How does dementia impact on a person who may already have mental health issues
- We cover the mental capacity act – what is it, and why do we have it.
Who is our Dementia and Cognitive Impairments Training for?
Anyone who supports some one living with dementia, learning disabilities (including down syndrome) and mental health. This could be in any setting ranging from assisted living, residential care, hospital settings and for health and social care professionals.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- What a cognitive impairment is
- Who we describe as vulnerable and why
- How dementia impacts on the brain and in particular communication
- What a learning disability is and how dementia may impact on a person with learning disabilities.
- Why people with Downs syndrome may be more at risk of dementia
- What the most common mental illness conditions are
- Why dementia is often mistaken for a mental health condition like depression
- What the mental capacity act is and how it helps protect individuals with cognitive impairments.
Frequently asked questions
Our GDPR Training Online enables attendees to understand the data protection terms that are in place and how to report a breach to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
In our Delirium Awareness Course we look at the signs and symptoms of delirium and how they may be difficult to spot in a person living with dementia.
Reviews from Google
Why choose Able?
Specialists in your
Our courses can be personalised to the individual setting to meet the unique needs of your company.
Training can be delivered at a venue of your choice or at one of our training locations across the UK.
Trusted by companies of all sizes
Whether you’re an established enterprise or a growing startup, we’ve got your training needs covered. Trusted by companies of all sizes including:
Alzheimer’s Society, Mind, Foster Care Associates, Nursing Midwifery Council and the Scouts.
How to get started
Complete the contact form below to get in touch with our team of training advisors
A training partner will be provided to consult and work with you to create a solution that meets your specific training needs.
Receive a tailored quote and book your chosen date.
Fill in the form below so one of our team can reach out with more information.