Our Infection Control course enables attendees to understand the causes and spread of infection as well as what the chain of infection is and how to break it.
Dementia & Medication Awareness
About this course
Learn about the basic different types of medication that might be prescribed to treat/lessen the symptoms of Dementia. Understand why they might be prescribed, how they might help a person and also learn about the potential side effects. Understand the benefits/risk scale and how to assess whether the benefits of the medication outweigh the risks.
How does Dementia affect the brain and body? When might someone need medication? What medications are used in the UK to treat/lessen the symptoms of Dementia? Do you know your ‘Pams’ from your ‘Lams’? How do these medications help? What are the negative side effects of dementia medications? How can combined medication positively and negatively impact a persons’ quality of life? Many people with Dementia are prescribed a variety of different medication to treat a variety of symptoms. Although these can be hugely beneficial for some, medication can have a range of side effects or adverse reactions to other medications. In this course you will gain a basic understanding into the variety of medications that might be used to treat Dementia. You will learn how these can positively and negatively impact a persons’ life and how different medication may be useful for different people.
What does Dementia & Medication Awareness cover?
- How does Dementia affect the brain and body
- When might someone require medication
- What medications are usually prescribed in the UK and what do they do?
- Possible side effects
- Positive/negative impact of using medication in regards to best interests and quality of life
- Identifying adverse reactions and behaviour to look out for
- Understanding behaviour and how we can avoid the need for medication (where possible)
- Important to clarify that we are not doctors; we are not trying to diagnose or define what medication should be prescribed, but to understand the possible reasons for the medication and how this might impact a person. Also to understand the benefits vs risk of using medication.
Who is our Dementia & Medication Awareness for?
The course is for anyone working with those living with Dementia, including those in palliative and end of life care settings.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- A better understanding of how Dementia affects the brain and body
- Reasons why a person might be prescribed medication – symptoms that can trigger the need for medication
- What types of medication are currently used, how/how often they are taken and how they can help
- Side effects/adverse reactions that a person may have
- The benefits/risks of using mixed medication for a variety of symptoms
- The use of medication and DOLS/mental capacity
- Understanding behaviour and communication
- Alternative therapies and the benefits
Frequently asked questions
This course is aimed at those working with individuals to whom the Mental Capacity Act 2005 may apply and explores key concepts around the MCA and the new LPS system.
Our Online Manual Handling Course enables attendees to understand how to safely move objects using the Manual Handling Hierarchy.
Reviews from Google
Why choose Able?
Specialists in your
Our courses can be personalised to the individual setting to meet the unique needs of your company.
Training can be delivered at a venue of your choice or at one of our training locations across the UK.
Trusted by companies of all sizes
Whether you’re an established enterprise or a growing startup, we’ve got your training needs covered. Trusted by companies of all sizes including:
Alzheimer’s Society, Mind, Foster Care Associates, Nursing Midwifery Council and the Scouts.
How to get started
Complete the contact form below to get in touch with our team of training advisors
A training partner will be provided to consult and work with you to create a solution that meets your specific training needs.
Receive a tailored quote and book your chosen date.
Fill in the form below so one of our team can reach out with more information.