Mental Capacity Act (MCA) & DoLS Training Course Overview:
The primary purpose of the Mental Capacity Act is to promote and safeguard decision-making within a legal framework. The Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards is the procedure prescribed in law when it is necessary to deprive of their liberty a resident or patient who lacks capacity to consent to their care and treatment in order to keep them safe from harm.
The course is delivered over 3 hours
Our group training is offered for 3-15 attendees per trainer
What is covered:
This course will help delegates understand the key principles of the MCA, the factors affecting mental capacity, and how to test whether an individual can be deemed to have mental capacity. It explores the concepts of consent and “best interests”.
Delegates will learn when and how the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards apply and what the requirements are for DOLS to be authorised.
Who is the course for?
This course is for any staff or organisation that are working with those over the age of 16 who may have a condition that impairs the functioning of their brain and the ability to make decisions. It supports those who are making decisions on behalf of another person.
What will you achieve?
- Understand their legal position when making decisions on behalf of others
- Know how to decide if people have “mental capacity”
- Identify the people who may be covered by the Mental Capacity Act
- Understand how to act in a person’s “best interests” and what is required to gain a valid consent
- Understand how to act in a person’s “best interests”
- Understand the importance of accurate record keeping
- Know how to fulfill the “Deprivation of liberty safeguards”
Why Choose Able?
“Excellent, hands on learning made fun and interactive. trainer answered every question and was very informative but also fun.”
“Trainer was brilliant making the course very easy to learn and very enjoyable. Thank you.”
“I really liked the trainer's style and method of training. This trainer is the best trainer I have ever had.”
“Trainer had good knowledge backed up with good humour the course worked really well. Clear and concise.”
“Very good course trainer has great knowledge of his subject and presents the course in a relaxed manner.”