An advanced, 6 hour course designed for those who have some previous knowledge and experience in safeguarding.
Explore the signs and symptoms of different dementias, and how they impact on a person.
There are currently 900,000 people living with dementia in the UK today. It is estimated that every three minutes, a person develops dementia. On top of this, we know there is around 30,000 people living with signs and symptoms of dementia, but not a diagnosis.
This course will explore the signs and symptoms of different dementias, and how they impact on a person. From this we can look what happens pre diagnosis, the diagnosis process and what we can do to help support a person after diagnosis.
What does Pre-diagnosis and Diagnosis in Dementia cover?
- Why it is important to be tested for dementia.
- Key signs and symptoms, and what they may be misdiagnosed for.
- Preparation for talking to the GP about signs, symptoms, and concerns – learning how to get the most out of the conversation
- How to manage difficult conversations in an empathic way
- What health care professionals are usually involved
- Tests used to help diagnose dementia and what they involve
- What can we do if a persons refuses to seek medical advice
- How to help prepare for the future
Who is our Pre-diagnosis and Diagnosis in Dementia for?
This course would be suitable for anyone caring / supporting someone who feels they may have signs and symptoms of dementia, including care settings, GP staff / professionals, health care professionals and social workers, family, and friends.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- What sign and symptoms of dementia are
- Empathic communication skills for discussing dementia with a person
- How to help the person recognise the changes
- Useful and practical tips before visiting the GP
- What tools can be used to help diagnosis
- What happens after diagnosis
- The benefits for making plans for the future for someone diagnosed with dementia
- Practical support for people in “denial”
Frequently asked questions
Our ADHD Awareness Course helps you understand attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) including ADHD symptoms, how to recognise it and how to support an individual who displays ADHD for both adults and children.
Our Understanding Autism Course enables attendees to understand how mental health associates with autism and how to manage behavioural challenges.
Reviews from Google
Why choose Able?
Specialists in your
Our courses can be personalised to the individual setting to meet the unique needs of your company.
Training can be delivered at a venue of your choice or at one of our training locations across the UK.
Trusted by companies of all sizes
Whether you’re an established enterprise or a growing startup, we’ve got your training needs covered. Trusted by companies of all sizes including:
Alzheimer’s Society, Mind, Foster Care Associates, Nursing Midwifery Council and the Scouts.
How to get started
Complete the contact form below to get in touch with our team of training advisors
A training partner will be provided to consult and work with you to create a solution that meets your specific training needs.
Receive a tailored quote and book your chosen date.
Fill in the form below so one of our team can reach out with more information.